Monday, August 13, 2007

Shape up or ship out

I have chosen to ship out.



I will be MIA from blogland for the next month as I will be on board the CCGS Matthew maintaining their electronics so that the Canadian Hydrographic Service can collect their data using a multibeam sonar system that makes 3D images of the ocean floor kind of like this:


This data is eventually used to make navigational charts that other sailors use. Having charts with accurate depths is needed to keep ships from hitting rocks and shoals. The ironic part is that the Matthew has actually done that before. Let's hope we do not run aground while I am on board.

And thus concludes our lesson of hydrographic operations. I apologize for the lack of knitting content.

7 comments:

FrozenExtremities said...

I think it's neato! I really need a cooler job....

lulubelle said...

Very cool job indeed.

But...

We'll miss you!

Marti said...

Wow. Your job is, like, super interesting! Enjoy being at sea!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding! I LOVE hearing about hydrographic operations (and I am being sincere).

Mapping ocean floors is totally cool. I know its called bathymetry in lakes - is it called that for oceans?

The Ninja Knitter said...

Have fun, stay safe and we'll see you soon.

jlmack said...

That's way cool. So much cooler than my job.

Miss Me said...

wow - that is really cool! stay safe and dry and don't forget to pack LOTS of knitting... since we all know, and the harlot confirmed, that knitting is far more important than clothes.