Friday, July 11, 2008

Hi-diddle-dee-dee a sailor's life for me...

On Wednesday morning I fly to Saint John's to join the CCGS Matthew for 4 thrilling weeks of playing Ship's Technician.  This is the part of my job that is exciting and terrifying all at once, and this time more so.  

I was hired 3 years ago into a type of apprenticeship/training program and now I am finally a full fledged Marine Electronics Technologist.  This means that I will now go to sea alone, whereas before I would go with a more experienced tech to work with me.  So this trip will be my first one alone and you really never know what kind of disaster any trip will bring.  As the ship's tech I am a department of one and have a variety of equipment to maintain.  Here are just a few:  Radar, gyrocompass, electronic charting systems, autopilot, radios, global marine distress system, AIS, global positioning systems, servers, networks, computers, navigation sounders, telephone systems, sound velocity profilers, multibeam echosounders, small boat electrical systems, deisel generators, and shotguns.  My offical job description is a 23 page document that says strange things like "work in isolation that leads to marriage breakdowns" and "working ashore with risk or being stranded and attacked by wild dog packs".

Sunday will be my last day off until August 14th so I am going to really enjoy knitting while sipping coffee and watching Coronation Street.

Have a good month everyone.

5 comments:

lulubelle said...

Have a good trip!

Watch for packs of wild dogs, and come home safe!

Steph said...

Makes me feel much better about my job description, but at the same time, a little disappointed at the lack of adventure in my job.

Cali said...

I hope you have a great time, packs of dogs and all! :) On the bright side, I'm sure you will come home with lots of stories and knitted socks.

Alison said...

So when you get back, maybe you could take a look at my diesel generator and my shotgun? I think the packs of wild dogs in the backyard are getting a bit out of control.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you have to maintain shotguns. Wow.

Do you know how to fix clothes dryers?