Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Not quite the North Pole, but close

There are days that I think my job is great and others that I wish I had just gone to Accounting School and done something safe. Yesterday was one of the latter. The X-band radar on the Hudson developed a leak in the bit of wave guide that connects the antenna to the rest of the wave guide. Water in the wave guide is pretty bad and gives you a giant blob in the middle of the screen, generally not desirable. So, since I am the new person, me and another newish guy had the pleasure of climbing up there to remove the faulty waveguide in the cold yesterday, and we get to go put the new one in today in the even colder weather. Here's hoping there are no frostbite or falling 30 feet type injuries right before Christmas.



Edited to Add:
Re: the mast climbing in -17 weather. A couple of the older guys on the ship's crew have taken to being quite protective of me since I am one of the few young girls around. When they found out that I was up the mast they gave my supervisor an earful for making me go up there in the cold. They also sent a deckhand to keep an eye on me and make sure I didn't need anything. At least I am well taken care of around here.

2 comments:

Steph said...

that looks like fun. Can I come?

Elisabeth said...

Good luck! Be well!